Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Writing Goals

One of my biggest hobbies, if you want to call it that, is listening to books on CD in my car.  It is a great way to make my 20 minute drive to work a quick trip.  I love any good Grisham book or courtroom thriller.  There are times when I take the long way home so I can listen to more of the book.

Reading never came easy for me.  I HATED reading in elementary and high school.  Hate is such a strong word, but it conveys the truth.  You may ask yourself, how then do I get to the spot where I want to write a book, if I had such issues reading when I was younger.  It all starts with finding that author that you connect with.  The author that I connected with was Mick Foley.  Yes for all of you pro wrestling fans, THAT Mick Foley.

There was something about his writing that just "grabbed" me.  He first wrote several auto biographies and some fiction.  He stepped out into the world of children's books, all though they may not be your popular children's books of the time, they were creative and entertaining none the less.

There is something about children's books that just jump out at you.  Children's authors, like Dr. Seuss, Shel Silverstein, Judy Blume, Eric Carle write with such ease and their books have such great illustrations.  They take simple stories, creative characters, sprinkle in a little drama, and PRESTO!!

I guess I should probably stop procrastinating and get to the goal already.  My dream has always been to write children's books.  So that is my goal to write and publish my first children's book in the year 2014.  I have so many excuses for why I can't accomplish this goal.  The dream has always been there and the excuses have always taken over.  It is that thought and the flicker that is a little bigger and a little brighter tonight than it has ever been.  When I first started this blog, i was worried nobody would ever read one article let alone 8.  I have the counter at the top to remind myself daily that people are actually reading this thing.  So if I can have nearly 500 views in the first two months, maybe I might be able to pull off a book that people will actually want to read.

I want my kids to find a love for reading early on in life.  How cool would it be for them to read books written by me.  I hate that there are kids out there in elementary on up, that never found books to be interesting, and they do not like reading.  You have to be hooked at an early age in my opinion.  I am making up for lost time.  If you read my blog, keep reading.  I will be posting New Years Resolutions on New Years Eve.  With the accountability from my awesome family, mentor, wonderful friends, 2014 could be a dream come true year!


1 comment: