Sunday, December 8, 2013

Through the eyes of a 10 yr old: The Beach Trip...


As I step out, the humid air sticks to my sweating skin.  The brisk air brushes against my damp and sweaty skin.  A kaleidoscope of people blanket the sand and water along the shoreline.  The salty taste of ocean water looms in the air a vast array of blues color the scene before me.  The ocean comes crashing into the grainy sand at my feet.

This is everything I have imagined and more.  I look out and bear witness to snowy-white seagull flying overhead, suicide diving into the ocean only to resurface with a tasty little sturgeon plum in its bill.  The constant chatter of beach-admiring locals and tourists.  To my left is the A-frame lifeguard chair, holding its successor much like King Midas on his thrown.  He gives a whistle firmly planted in his mouth a quick tweet-tweet to warn overanxious swimmers wandering a bit too far in the realms of the unknown sea ahead.  I find the orange skunk like stripe on his nose amusing.

I venture into the ocean, and it is very exciting but nerve racking at the same time.  What is underneath and what houses itself in the great watery unknown is a big mystery that I am anxious to solve.  The monstrous wave and the wicked undertow knock me on my can, end over end.

The water thrashes the massive rock formations, and the sand settles around my feet below me.  Children cackle and shriek as they display their artistic talent in the construction of diversified sand sculptures all along the beachfront.  My mom and I decide to go for a walk along the beach and witness the rainbows of umbrellas and beach towels on the sand below.  The aroma of Nathan's Famous hot-dogs and New York-style pizza fills my nose.  The sirens, clanking, and ringing fill the pavilion with all of the gamers.  My mom and I partake in a frozen lemonade that is a bit on the sour side.

We do a little window shopping and view the ever-popular souvenirs that make home in the local beachfront stores.  Jet ski's whirl and whip and crash into the water as they elevate off of the monstrous waves.  Kids my age cruise and spin on their boogie boards as they surf in from the ocean.

Yachts and cruise ships turtle their way across the horizon to some unknown destination.  My mom says that it is time for us to go.  I guess for this trip to the beach, I will not be able to find out what looms below the sea.  I guess I will have to leave that for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment