Sunday, April 19, 2015

Day 1 Bear

Well it has been entirely to long, and it drives me a little crazy that I get overly lazy and stop blogging.  I am going to attempt a new exercise that will probe me to write a little more.  I am working on a book from Bonni Goldberg entitled a Room to Write.  So with out further delay here goes something....

So the first exercise is to write about a word that has more than one meaning.  With the several that were listed, I chose the word BEAR...

BEAR

When I think about the word Bear it automatically takes me back to Boy Scouts when we were rafting the Natahalia and Ocoee River in Tennessee.  On one of our many adventure hikes I remember   the front of the group running smack into the presence of a bear.  I big old massive brown bear that could have wiped us out with one swipe.  I don't remember exactly which one of us it was that thought it was more important to take some photographs of this enormous animal (although I want to say John Bergen) for some reason that name rings a bell, although off topic, I remember John Aryea likes his Dr. Pepper with NO ICE!  said he gets more soda that way.

Bear also makes me think of the book Spirit Bear that we read while counselors and camp, while at Eckerd, about a young kid who had severe anger management issues, and beat up a kid pretty bad.  He was sent to an Island off the coast of Alaska where he was going to live there for a year, by himself to try and rehabilitate himself.  Once on the island, he lost control of his anger and burned everything he had to survive with including his shelter.  Later that night as he was trying to survive he came face to face with the great spirit bear that he got into an altercation with.  The spirit bear did some serious damage to him and he was left for dead....if you haven't read it now you have a brief synopsis of it.

#34 Sweetness!  the greatest Chicago Bear of my time.  I love to watch him run, it was extremely poetic!  The Chicago Bears, monsters of the midway or at least they were back when I was growing up.  The Chicago Bears shufflen crew, Iron Mike Ditka as coach, The funky QB, Jim McMahon, The Refrigerator William Perry, Jeff Fisher, Mike Singletery, Willie Gult, Dan Hamton, ahhh what a motley crew that was, They struck fear in the hearts of opponents, every opponent except for one!  Yep thats right, the Dan Marino Experience, the Miami Dolphins were the only stumbling block in what other wise was a perfect season.

Bare Naked Ladies, If I had a million dollars I would buy you a real fur coat, but thats cruel!  ah you gotta love the 1990's.

The great Cubbie Bear!  Yep the one in the same, favorite baseball team and the lovable losers on the North Side, You just wait until this year! Its our year! 2015!  Just ask Michael J Fox in Back to the Future 2!

The great polar bear! My sons favorite is Bernard (he pronounces in Bungard).  They also take me to the coke commercials with the polar bears sliding across the ice with coke bottles in their hands (yeah sorry it just came to mind, that is why I wrote it).

Bear Down!  not sure if this is a Chicago thing or a Baylor thing, but they both love their bears!

On a sadder note, the stupid bear traps that are used by hunters to trap bears.

Winnie the Pooh Bear was a great story book character.  I read a lot of Winnie the Pooh growing up, one of the books that led me to want to write.  Winnie, Piglet, Eeyore, Tigger, Christopher Robin those are great memories. We can't forget the Berrenstein Bears!  If I remember correctly they live in a tree.

Paul "Bear" Bryant was a legendary college football coach that coached at Texas A&M and most notably The Crimson Tide of Alabama.  I read once that he got his nick name from wrestling a bear.  I will leave the specifics up to my cousins that are Alabama fans.

Well i barely have anymore bears on the brain!  I hope you enjoy, till tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment